Would you like to add a landscape enhancement to your Richmond, VA property in time for summer?
In case you didn’t know, a landscape enhancement includes anything hardscape (such as a patio) or softscape (such as annuals, perennials, shrubs, and trees) that add value to your home.
Right now, it’s a seller’s market if you’re thinking about selling your home. Improving your curb appeal could reap the rewards at closing time, according to 94% of real estate agents.
If you don’t plan on selling your house this year, you can still add landscape enhancements to your Central VA property so you can enjoy being outside. More people are staying home and love spending time in their backyards.
5 Steps for Planning Landscape Enhancements
When it comes to adding a landscape enhancement, you need to plan, not just where you want to add that new flowerbed or gazebo, but you want to plot out the overall landscape design, so everything fits together rather than looking helter-skelter.
Here are five steps for planning your master landscape design as well as any enhancements you want to add for this season:
- Dream while standing outside: Stand outside in your front yard and then move to the backyard. What are your dreams for your Central VA property? What theme do you want your outdoor living spaces to resemble—farmhouse, rustic cabin, historic, spa?
- Consider a focal point from the inside of your home: Now stand inside your home. Look at the front yard and then at the backyard. Where do you want focal points to be in your landscape?
Many homeowners love to look outside during the winter at these focal points. Focal points include an outdoor fireplace, a fountain, or an outdoor structure.
- Make a rough sketch and compartmentalize if you need to: While you don’t have to be an artist, you can break down your property to show where you want an outdoor living space, a front-yard focal point, or a newly landscaped area.
Compartmentalize your landscaped areas into groupings. For example, you may want to add a patio and an outdoor grill area for eating al fresco over the summer.
- Make a landscape enhancement budget: While adding a complete landscape design to your property this spring will cost thousands, you can start small with a patio or a new flowerbed.
The American Society for Landscape Architects says that homeowners should spend about 10% of their home’s value on landscape enhancements.
Consider having your residential landscape designer draw up a master plan for you to keep. Your master design plan will have all of the landscape enhancements you hope to add to your Central VA property over the coming years.
- Prioritize your landscape design as a long-range plan: What landscape project needs to be done now, and which ones can wait? Arrange new landscape enhancements based on your budget and time.
2 Reasons Why You Want to Add Landscape Enhancements to Your Richmond, VA Property
You can reap the rewards of a return on your investment when you improve your Richmond landscape. Here are two major factors why you want to add landscape enhancements to your property:
- Improve your curb appeal: You may not be putting your house up on the market this year. However, if you think you’ll be selling your home in the next few years, realize that adding landscape enhancements can increase the value of your home by 5% to 15%.
- Extend the use of your home to include outdoor rooms: If you feel better enjoying the sunshine and the beauty of your landscapes, for example, consider adding a gazebo to your pool area.
7 Ways BCLS Landscape Services Provide Professional Landscaping to Richmond, VA Homeowners
When you invest in landscape enhancements for your Central VA property, you only want the best landscape services in the area.
At BCLS Landscape Services, we provide professional landscaping services to homeowners in Richmond and the surrounding areas. Here are seven ways that we provide you with landscape enhancements:
- We design and install new landscapes and garden beds
- We provide residential irrigation installation and management services
- We provide estate gardening
- We provide landscape maintenance
- We design and install landscape enhancements for urban living
- We install outdoor lighting
- We provide pre-packaged outdoor living environments.
If you’re ready to add a new enhancement to your Richmond, VA property this summer, make your appointment today by calling us at (804) 752-0052 or filling out our contact form. We look forward to working with you to create your landscape design and build.
BCLS Landscape Services provides property care to residential and commercial properties throughout Richmond and Central Virginia.
HomeLight.com, “Adding Value through Landscaping: The Homeowner’s Green Thumb Guide.”
LoveYourLandscape.org, “Planning Guide: Creating Your Perfect Outdoor Living Space.”
NBC12.com, “Richmond Real Estate is a ‘Seller’s Market’,” April 1, 2021.